Alfalfa seeds are the seeds of alfalfa plant that is also used as an herb with many medicinal values. These seeds are very nutritious and can be used in various forms. It can be used as sprouts or can be used to prepare tea in which all the nutrients get extracted and can be consumed. Alfalfa seeds are good source of protein, estrogens, fiber, vitamin B-complex, vitamin K, calcium and organic compounds like flavonoids.
Health benefits of Alfalfa seeds
- It helps in detoxifying the body from the harmful free radicals that leads to the formation of plaque and buildup bad cholesterol, as it contains Coumarin derivative that shows antithrombotic effect, purifies the blood and also maintains its flow. Therefore it prevents from atherosclerosis and depositing of calcium in the arteries which makes them hard.
- It is a rich source of chlorophyll which acts as photochemical and helps in purifying the blood by removing toxins like uric acid from the blood which relieves joint pains especially in cases of arthritis, gout and rheumatism.
- It is a natural source of two hormones i.e. progesterone and phytoestrogens both of which are helpful in promoting good health and hormonal balance among menopausal women.
- It also helps in maintaining weight and aids in proper digestion as its sprouts contains an enzyme betaine that helps in proper breakdown of proteins and fats. The sprouts are also good source of beta carotene which gives strength to the epithelial cells and prevents from ulcer formation.
- It is a good food for the proper neurological health as it is rich in Vitamin B-complex that is essential for proper energy production in the nerve cells and helps the patients that are suffering from depression and chronic fatigue.
- It is a concentrated source of vitamin K that acts as an anticoagulant which helps in the proper formation of platelets and prevents from clot formation inside the body as well as prevent from excessive bleeding.