Avocados are one of the high calorie fruit due to its larger amount of fat contents i.e. approx 20 percent more than in any other fruit. Although it is high in fat content, but it mostly has MUFA (Mono unsaturated fatty acid) which is the healthy fat and helps in decreasing LDL levels (bad cholesterol) and promotes HDL levels (Good cholesterol). It is also considered healthiest food as it is consist of 25 essential nutrients some of which are Vitamin A, B, C, E and K, copper, iron, phosphorus, magnesium and potassium. It also contains fiber, protein, phytochemicals like beta- sitosterol, glutathione and lutein.
Health benefits of Avocados
- It helps in maintaining healthy heart because it is rich in Vitamin B6 and folic acid which helps to regulate homocysteine levels. It also contains Vitamin E, glutathione and MUFA all of which also helps in keeping heart healthy.
- It helps in lowering cholesterol level as it contains a compound beta-sitosterol which lowers the LDL and triglycerides level and helps in increasing the good cholesterol levels.
- It helps in controlling blood pressure as it is a good source of potassium.
- It contains phytonutrients such as polyphenols and flavonoids which reduces the risk of inflammatory and degenerative disorders.
- It also contains another phytonutrient carotenoids; lutein which protect against age related macular degeneration and cataract.
- MUFA helps in reversing insulin resistance which regulates blood sugar levels.
- It also contains soluble fibers which help in maintaining good digestive system.
- It is rich in folate, a B-Vitamin also called as folic acid which is essential in the prevention of birth defects such as neural tube defects and Spina bifida. High levels of folate also protects against stroke.
- The oleic acid present in avocados is effective in preventing breast cancer in women and it also inhibits the growth of prostate cancer in men.
- Glutathione, an antioxidant also helps in preventing aging symptoms, boost immune system, slow down aging process and encourages healthy nervous system.
- It cleanses intestine which helps in digestion and also protects from bad breath and coated tongue.
- It helps in increasing the absorption rate of nutrients by about 5 times.
- Avocados oil helps in nourishing the skin and it is also used in treating psoriasis, a skin disease that causes skin redness and irritation.
- It is a best food for people and children who wants to gain weight as it contains nearly 200 Kcal/100gm of fruit.