Broccoli is an edible flower of the green plant that belongs to the cabbage family and also known as cruciferous vegetable. It is known as miracle food because it contains lots of nutrients and is a powerhouse of iron, protein, calcium, chromium, selenium, folic acid, dietary fiber, Vitamin A (beta carotene) and Vitamin C.
Health benefits of Broccoli
- It helps in detoxifying the body as it contains vitamin C, sulphur and certain amino acids that make it a good detoxifier and especially it helps in removing toxins like uric acids.
- It is a perfect food for diabetics as it is a rich source of chromium that helps to regulate insulin and helps in controlling diabetes.
- It aids in digestion as it is a good source of fiber both soluble and insoluble that helps in preventing constipation and it also helps in keeping alimentary tract healthy.
- It acts as anti- aging food because it is rich in antioxidants like vitamin C, beta carotene and selenium.
- It helps in improving immune system as it has antiviral and antibacterial activity.
- It is rich source of two important phytochemicals- indoles and isothiocyanates called sulforaphane that helps in preventing body from several types of cancers as it increases the activity of certain types of enzymes that squelch cancer-causing agents.
- It helps in preventing anaemia as it a good source of iron, folic acid and also considered as a good food for pregnant ladies.
- It helps in strengthening bones as it is rich in calcium, zinc, magnesium and phosphorus and therefore prevents from osteoporosis.
- It also controls blood pressure and helps in lowering cholesterol levels as it is rich in potassium and chromium.