Dark chocolate are obtained from nutritious cocoa beans. These have high cocoa content from other chocolate and have a decent amount of soluble fiber and contains large amount of minerals. For this reason they are considered as healthy and nutritious. Dark chocolates are rich in cocoa butter, fiber, iron, magnesium, copper, manganese, potassium, phosphorus, zinc and selenium. The fatty acid content of cocoa butter is consisting of saturated fatty acids, MUFA (mono unsaturated fatty acid) and small amount of PUFA (Poly unsaturated fatty acid). They also contain biologically active organic compounds which work as antioxidants; these are catechins, flavonoids and phenols. Dark chocolates also contain two stimulants which are caffeine and theobromine.
Health benefits of Dark Chocolates
- They help in improving the blood circulation and lowers elevated blood pressure. As they activate endothelium lining of the arteries to produce a gas called Nitric Oxide which helps in relaxing the arteries and decreases the resistance of the blood flow which helps in reducing blood pressure.
- It is a powerful source of antioxidants that prevents oxidation of LDL cholesterol and increases the level of HDL which reduces the risk of heart disease as it protects the lipoproteins from free radical damage.
- They are nutritious for diabetic and heart patients as its mineral content helps in proper secretion of insulin from the pancreas and prevent from insulin resistance.
- Its biologically active compounds like flavonoids also protect your skin from tanning caused by sunrays and it also increases the blood flow in the skin which increases skin hydration and density and make skin look fresh and smooth.
- They are also considered good food for our brain function as it also helps in the circulation of blood in the brain which helps in improving the cognitive function in old people. It also helps in improving verbal fluency in those people who can’t speak properly.