Oats are the cereal grass called Avena Sativa that is cultivated for its edible seeds. They have a nutty flavour. It is a low calorie food, which helps in controlling craving and contains around 130 Kcal per serving. It is considered as healthiest cereal because it is high in dietary fibre and protein, low in fats. It is also a good source of magnesium, selenium, manganese, phosphorus and vitamin B complex.
Health benefits of Oats
- It helps in stabilizing blood glucose level and reduces the risk of diabetes due to the presence of high fiber that helps to slow down the conversion of whole food to simple sugars.
- It helps in the proper nourishment of the body as oats are rich in magnesium which helps body to use glucose and secrete insulin in proper amount.
- Oats help in removing bad cholesterol with the help of fiber in the form of beta-glucan that removes bad cholesterol and enhances immune system.
- Oats are rich in plant lignans which gets converted by intestinal flora into mammalian lignans is called enterolactone, which protects body from breast cancer and other hormone dependent cancers.
- It helps in preventing body from free radicals effects as oats are rich in antioxidants called avenanthramides which prevent from damaging LDL cholesterol and reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Oats also increasing immune response as beta-glucan present in oats helps neutrophils to travel to the site of infection and also increases their efficiency to fight against bacteria that are found there.