Constipation occurs when the fecal mass remains in the colon for longer than 24-72 hrs after meal ingestion and there is decrease in a person’s normal frequency of defecation, especially if the stool is hard, dry or difficult to expel. Common reasons for constipation are:
- A low fibre diet
- Repeatedly ignoring the urge to go
- Not drinking enough water
- A lack of exercise
- Eating foods rich in dietary fibre especially soluble fibre helps in increasing stool bulk, produces more frequent stools, attracts water making stools soft and ease in elimination.
- Maintain your body weight near to your ideal body weight.
- Avoid junk foods especially prepared from refined flour.
- Have plenty of water or fluids with at least 10-12 glasses of water.
- Have proper diet schedule.
- Try to have a balanced diet.
- Follow a regular exercise schedule.
- Do not neglect the signs of elimination.
- Whole cereals like daliya
- beans and whole pulses
- fibrous fruits
- vegetables especially GLVs
- Starchy foods like refined flour
- washed pulses
- sweet potato
- fried foods
- highly spiced foods.
Diet equation for calculation of calories intake
(66.47) + (13.75 * weight in kg) + (5.0 * height in cm) – (6.78 * Age in years)
(655.10) + (9.56 * weight in kg) + (1.85 * height in cm) – (4.68 * Age in years)
Sample menu according to Indian diet
Approx total calories:
Energy 2000 Kcal, Protein 75gm, Carbohydrates 365 gm, Fats 55 gm
Energy 110 kcal, Protein 5 gm, Fat 7.5 gm, CHO 8 gm
- Lemon water/plain water (1 glass) or Green tea/lemon tea (1 cup)
- Soaked almonds/walnuts (5 to 6)/ (1) along with flaxseeds half teaspoon
Breakfast: (with a gap of 1 hr)
Energy 280 kcal, Protein 15gm, Fat 10gm, CHO 60gm
- Milk-1 cup (200 ml) with daliya/oats/wheat flakes or High fibre stuffed chappati one (without fat) with skim milk curd (1 bowl) or multi grain / brown bread (2 to 3 slices)
- Egg/Paneer (1 poached or boiled white part/25gm) or Veg snacks like oats poha/veg daliya/brown bread poha (1 quarter plate)
Mid morning: (with a gap of 2 hrs)
Energy 120 Kcal, Protein 7.5gm, Fat 5gm, CHO 25gm
- Fresh fruit/fruit chat (1 bowl) or sprouted chat (1 bowl) or nutri poha (1 bowl)
Lunch: (with a gap of 2 hrs)
Energy 450 Kcal, Protein 18gm, Fat 10gm, CHO 96.5gm
- Salad- 1 bowl
- High fibre chappati (2 in quantity)
- Cooked Vegetable (1 bowl)
- Veg raita/cooked dal (1 bowl)
Evening tea: (with a gap of 2 ½ to 3 hrs)
Energy 170 Kcal, Protein 8 gm, Fat 5.5 gm, CHO 70 gm
- Tea/Green tea (1 cup)
- High fibre biscuits=2 or Roasted Channa 25gm or Sprouted Chat 25gm or Milkshake (apple or strawberry) 1 glass
Pre-dinner: (1 ½ hr before dinner)
Energy 370 Kcal, Protein 10.2 gm, Fat 8 gm, CHO 50 gm
- Soup (1 bowl) or Fruit Chat (1 bowl)
- Energy 80 Kcal, Protein 2 gm, Fat 0.5 gm, CHO 40gm
- Dinner (3 hrs before bedtime)
- Salad (1 bowl)
- High fibre chappati (1or2 in quantity)
- Cooked vegetable (1 bowl)
- Curd/cooked dal (1 bowl)
Post dinner: (1 hr before bedtime)
Energy 165 Kcal, Protein 7.25gm, Fat 7 gm, CHO 18 gm
- Hot milk (1 cup) with anjeer or dates