Apple is a juicy pomaceous fruit that belongs to the Genus: Malus. It is consumed all over the world for its nutrients content and considered as the one of the healthiest fruit. Its health benefits are due to wealth of vitamins, minerals, nutrients and many other organic compounds which are found in apple. Some of the important nutrients found in apples are Vitamin C, K, B6, riboflavin, potassium, copper, manganese and magnesium. They also contain dietary fiber and are packed with phytonutrients and flavonoids like quercetin, epicatechin, phloridzin, and many other polyphenolic compounds.
Health benefits of Apple
- It is a good source of dietary fiber, so regular consumption of an apple helps in preventing constipation and ensures bowel movements as it keeps the digestive tract healthy and smooth.
- It ‘s dietary fiber also stimulates the gastric juices so that the proper absorption of nutrients can occur and removes the excess fat and cholesterol from the veins and arteries so as to promote proper functioning of heart and prevents from atherosclerosis.
- Apples help in the growth of good micro-flora in the intestine as they change the metabolism within the digestive track and ensure good digestion.
- Apples are rich in phytonutrients like kaempferol and quercetin which helps in preventing lung cancer and if already diagnosed with it then helps by preventing from spreading of lung cancer.
- It is also a good source of polyphenols that helps in managing diabetes and reduces its fluctuation in the blood stream as it reduces the uptake of carbohydrates by the body, due to which glucose absorption is reduced and it stimulates the release of insulin from the pancreas.
- Apples also promote dental health as its fiber cleans the teeth and gums and prevents from cavities. It also helps in the secretion of saliva that is alkaline in nature and prevents the growth of bacteria in the teeth.
- Apples also show anti-inflammatory properties and therefore prevents from asthma which is caused by the inflammation of membranes and cells of the respiratory tract. It is also effective in other inflammatory problems like arthritis and gout. All these are due the presence of flavonoids, kaempferol, quercetin and myricetin.
- They are also helpful for preventing eye problems as they are rich in antioxidants which reduces the effect of free radicals on the eyes and prevents from night blindness, cataracts, macular degeneration and glaucoma.
- Apples also helps in keeping skin healthy as it boost the blood circulation and cleans the toxins from the blood which replaces the old cells with new cells and makes the skin looks good and young. The antioxidants present in apple also prevent from premature aging, wrinkles, age spots and many other age related skin problems.
- Apples also helps in weight loss as they increase the metabolism and inhibit in the absorption of additional calories consumed after them.